Catalyzing City Resilience Solutions
Catalyzing City Resilience Solutions
The Catalyzing City Resilience Solutions program aims to help cities’ local economy recover from the Covid-19 pandemic by identifying a critical SMEs sector and empowering and strengthening it by continuing to create solutions that will allow cities to build urban resilience.
Cities face an urban economic crisis resulting from the need to curb the local transmission of the Covid-19 virus through lockdowns and other safety measures. This contributes to pressure on jobs and local economies.
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), which are essential drivers of economic and social well-being in cities, are disproportionately affected and have become more vulnerable due to the pandemic. In 2020, International Trade Centre surveyed SMEs in 132 countries and found that two-thirds of SMEs reported that the crisis strongly affected their business operations and one-fifth indicated the risk of shutting down permanently within three months.
With the overlapping climate crisis, strengthening SMEs in cities beyond surviving the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic is critical for the local economy. A survey of R-Cities Chief Resilience Officers in 2020 confirmed that city leadership is focusing on social equity and local economy enhancement as their top priorities when thinking beyond the pandemic. Hence, supporting SMEs for cities’ resilient recovery must also address the opportunity to emerge more inclusively and sustainably.
R-Cities is partnering with Citi Foundation to support a cohort of up to 8 cities in Asia Pacific through the “Catalyzing City Resilience Solutions” program. It aims to help cities’ local economy recover from the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic by empowering and strengthening the identified critical SMEs sectors to continue creating solutions that will allow cities to build urban resilience.
The Catalyzing City Resilience Solutions program has four areas of action:
- Support the city to assess a critical SMEs sector and its impact on the local economy due to the pandemic, interconnected resilience challenges, and the urban system
- Facilitate and organize an accelerated co-creation process between cities and the selected SMEs sector to source, design and test solutions that strengthen SMEs business continuity, address critical resilience challenges, and contribute co-benefits to the city
- Facilitate a transformative pilot to demonstrate the potential of the selected solution
- Build a peer network among cities that works on the intersection of strengthening the SME sector and innovating on resilient solutions
R-Cities wants to ensure that this program is grounded in the realities that cities and its SMEs sector are facing. While this is an accelerator like program to support SMEs, we have the following principles in implementing this program:
- Committed to support critical and vulnerable SMEs sector
- Anchored into resilience challenge
- Embedded collaborative spirit where partnership across stakeholders is critical
- Integrate resilience co-benefits outcome for the City
CitiesXChange: Resilient Recovery by SMEs in Southeast Asia
In Southeast Asia, six member cities of the Resilient Cities Network (R-Cities) are exploring ways to support their local economy recover in a way that actions and projects will simultaneously address wider resilience and climate challenges.
Speaker Series #18 – SMEs and Urban Resilience
The COVID-19 pandemic lockdown measures have had devastating effects on jobs and local economies, especially on small and medium enterprises (SMEs). This 18th session of Cities on the Frontline focused on the importance of supporting SMEs for a city’s economy and how cities can collaborate with their local SMEs for a resilient and equitable recovery.
To stay up to date on our partnership with Citi Foundation, subscribe to our newsletter.